2D Data Matrix Barcode Symbology Overview
Data Matrix barcode character set, structure & recommended barcode library for ASP.NET, Winforms, Word and Excel
Data Matrix Barcode Introduction
Data Matrix is a two-dimensional/2D barcode symbology which was designed in 1989. It is capable of encoding large amount of data in a small area and is widely used for marking small items such as electronic components and pharmaceutical items. Data Matrix
is consists of set of white and black modules and arranges them into a square or rectangular pattern and it is more compact than other 2D barcodes. Data Matrix is able to encode Numeric value from 0 to 127 based on the US national version of ISO/IEC 646 and Numeric value from 128 to 255 based on the US national version of ISO 8859-1 (Extended ASCII). Data Matrix is defined by the ISO/IEC 16022:2006.
Data Matrix Barcode Generator for .NET Applications
It is possible to generate Data Matrix in .NET applications takes users input. Most common used barcode generators are:
Detailed Information for Data Matrix
Data Matrix Valid Character Set
- Numeric value from 0 to 127 based on the US national version of ISO/IEC 646
- Numeric value from 128 to 255 based on the US national version of ISO 8859-1 (Extended ASCII)
Data Matrix Structure
A Data Matrix symbol is composed of an array of data cells within a distinct perimeter pattern. The data region is surrounded by the finder patterns which represented the modules in a regular array. The finder pattern is surrounded by quiet zone border.
ECC of Data Matrix
ECC is short for error checking and correcting algorithm and it helps Data Matrix to recover from the damaging bits. There are 2 types:
ECC 200 is based on the Reed-Solomon error correction and is recommended to be used in new applications. With this Reed-Solomon error correction system, ECC 200 is capable of scanning the data with damage of 60%. There are 24 square symbols and 6 rectangular symbols available in ECC 200. The symbol size of ECC 200 is 10 x 10 to 144 x 144 even values or rectangular with sizes from 8 x 18 to 16 x 48.
Based on convolution code error correction system, the ECC 000 - 140 offers 5 error correction levels and have an odd number of rows and odd number of columns. The 5 levels include ECC 000, ECC 050, ECC 080, ECC 100 and ECC 140. Please make sure ECC 140 should be only used in closed application with good controlling performance system. Symbols are square with sizes from 9 x 9 to 49 x 49 (modules) not including quiet zones. For details of number of bits and size of message in each ECC level, please refer to:
- Data Matrix with ECC level 000 could recover none damage and has no increase from the user bits from ECC 000.
- Data Matrix with ECC level 050 could recover 2.8% damage and has 33% increase from the user bits from ECC 000.
- Data Matrix with ECC level 080 could recover 5.5% damage and has 50% increase from the user bits from ECC 000.
- Data Matrix with ECC level 100 could recover 12.6% damage and has 100% increase from the user bits from ECC 000.
- Data Matrix with ECC level 140 could recover 25% damage and has 300% increase from the user bits from ECC 000.